Monday 28 May 2018

May long weekend. May 14 - May 20, 2018

May 14
We're switching things up a bit and I (Dave) am writing this post while Leslie sends pictures and does the proof reading. See how it goes??
After our weekend enjoying some company it was time to get back at the usual stuff. Our realtor texted that there is going to be a second viewing of our house by the same people!!! Leslie is on a cleaning spree again. Before she gets going though I want her to cut my hair and I'm shaving off the beard I have been sporting for the last couple of months. 
It was fun but time to go :(

After the haircut and beard shave it was time to clean the house for the viewing. Leslie likes it really clean and a little bit staged for viewing. We watch HGTV sometimes ;) so we put away lots of clutter, like even the tv remotes go away!! Leslie has signed up for a shift at the hospital today 3-11pm so we are under a time limit. Of course we got it all done and she left for work and all I had to do was finish vacuuming and a bit of stuff in the garage and it's ready.
(The viewing happened but sadly no offers, maybe next time) Margaret and I had a nice night watching shows that Leslie wouldn't really like, truck racing and Gold Rush, my fave!
May15
Leslie is doing a blog post today, we are really trying to get caught up and then it won't be such old news! I am headed outside early to start cutting the lawn for the second time with the bagger on the tractor. The old dead grass is mostly sucked up and I have a huge pile for mulch in the fall if needed. Leslie is multi-tasking with the blog, laundry and watering trees and flowers. Yeah it seems like she's all over but it helps her sore back to move around and she accomplishes lots, bonus! Today is a warm one, forecast high is 27C/81F so just after noon we decided to clean up and go to town for a fancy lunch.... I took her to A&W for a guacamole burger, oh yeah I know how to treat a lady! She looked good though...
Rockin' the new shades and white jeans, oh yeah baby
It's that time of year again and we are paying for insurance on everything. We like to do monthly payments on the auto policy but pay the house, trailer and the Harley in full. Why? Just because, it seems cleaner and easier to me and I know it's done. That was a big bill, explains the A&W lunch date though. The other thing was to get me a new phone. My iphone 5 has been doing weird things for a while now so since Telus had offered an upgrade to i8, with conditions of course, we went ahead and got it. I still need to go to a Telus store and get help with an Apple i.d. change that we did but for now I have a working phone again. 
May 16
We started the day with a run/walk early because of the warm weather we're getting. Leslie is doing a quick trip to town for axle seals for the trailer and I'm staying home and pulling the first wheel and cleaning, repacking bearings and checking brakes while she's gone. Leslie has a hair appointment at 12:30 (no I don't cut her hair, we didn't even post a picture after I cut Margarets fur, it's not great) so while she's gone I got 2 wheels done on the trailer. I'll repack the other 2 tomorrow, I'm retired it doesn't need to be done in a day. Besides the other side is in full afternoon sun and it's too hot to work over there. (sorry no pictures, greasy hands)
May 17
I got out and got going on the remaining 2 wheels and Leslie ran to town for 1 more seal. Somehow one got bent yesterday?? Yeah okay I didn't put it in quite flush and wrecked it pulling it out. Seals are cheap. Leslie is packing the stuff back into the rig for the trip to Paul and Di's house for the long weekend. We usually go there every year for a mini work bee to get the "campground" ready for summer. I kept going on some maintenance items on the rig that I wanted done. I also took the bagger/mower off the tractor and put on the rototiller so I can till the tree farm plot and the gardens at our buddy Howard's. Leslie polished the bedroom slide before the sun came around that side and did the push mowing that I can't reach with the tractor mower. We worked together and washed the truck and hauled out all the food etc that we need for the weekend. It was a busy day but feels good to get it all done and have a frosty beverage, supper, a little TV and crash.
May 18
We know that this weekend we won't be "exercising" like usual so we both want to go farther than usual. I ran 9k in 1 hour, my best so far and Leslie power walked for 6.5 k! We were sweating when we got home but feeling pretty good about the distances. It may not seem like much to others but last year we were both smoking and no way we could have done this so we're pretty happy :) 
We got an unexpected call when we got back from the weed sprayer guy. I called Frank and left a message on Monday night and hadn't heard from him but he's going to be here in 1 hour! Perfect timing, I cut the lawn a couple days ago and dandelions are just coming back. When Frank was done we hooked the truck up to the trailer ready for tomorrow's trip over to Paul's place. He has a radiation treatment today so we'll go over tomorrow morning. With this being a long weekend our friends Howard and Chris are driving to their cabin with their daughter Kerry and grandson Caleb. We are going to visit them tonight because we'll be busy all weekend and won't get a chance to see them because they leave Monday morning. Always nice to say hi to them and have a couple beverages. They gave Leslie and I two bottles of wine and 36 beer for helping them with the yard and things at the cabin. They didn't have to do that because we like helping friends anyway but what a score before the long weekend!! Thanks Howard and Chris!
Relaxing with a beverage at the lake cabin
May 19
Up early today and get a good breakfast into us because we want to get right to work when we get to Paul & Di's place. We got over there about 10:30 and got the trailer set up and asked what the plan was?
Paul & Di's beautiful place

Paul and I going to plan where to start
This year it's just the four of us clearing trees and Gramma (aka Denise) is making burgers and homemade potato salad for supper with chocolate and carrot cake for desert. I really need to work hard today because I eat a lot of Denise's potato salad and cake! C'mon, just like Gramma IS making, not "used to make" lol. Paul had chemo and radiation this week again (week 3) but he is on the chain saw and doing his share as usual. One of the toughest dudes I know pound for pound. Good work buddy!
workin hard !
Of course don't think Diana is sitting around eating candy, she digs right in too, her and Paul are alike that way.
Di dumping the blocks she helped cut and load at the campground fire pit
more firewood for the pile
We got the driveway cleared quite quickly, there wasn't much this year. Our next priority is the road to the campground. Every year we try to clear all the "leaners" and bash back the willows. I fit my rig down this road (barely) and I don't want a bunch scratches and scrapes!
the one on the right has to go

even the kids and the dog can pick up sticks! Di, Aubrey and Keira, Ashley by the quad
We had enough by 5 o'clock and went back to the house for a couple beers and supper. Alan & Denise were there getting everything ready and man was it ever good! Great supper Gramma, as always.
Alan & Denise (Gramma and Grandpa)
That evening we all sat out at the backyard firepit and had a couple drinks and many laughs. Really like these folks, like home away from home. It wasn't a late night because there are more projects lined up for tomorrow and I am so full of cake!!!
Priceless. Paul with granddaughter, Piper 
We all had a good night sleep after a fun and productive day.

May 20
We slept in until about 8:45 and had a leisurely couple coffees and breakfast before heading to the house. After a bit of discussion about what to focus on we all got to it. Paul and I drove to Paul's brothers about an hour away to pick up some things. Les, Di, Ashley and the kids grabbed the pruners and snips and headed out to the lake road again. It was super hot.
Paul and Di's daughter Ashley with her kids Aubrey and Piper.

 Di with Aubrey...and Margaret

We all ended up back at the house for a quick bite of lunch. The kids went for a nap, Paul and I roto-tilled the garden, Les washed cabinets and walls in the kitchen and Di went to mow the grass at the campground.
Needs a cut!
We were all tired and hungry by now so we pooled together for a supper, had a few drinks around the fire and off to bed around 11pm. Heading home in the morning but that will be next post!












7 comments:

  1. Wow, that is another busy week! Congrats on the 9k and 6.5k, great feats in addition to quiting smoking! Hope you get an offer on the house soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for late replies, new blogger thing sends no emails? Diane let me know. Thanks we are really happy to be rid of smoking and running is going well, first 10k race in July!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your selling your house. Now that we are back on the island I left Dad's house staged and clean so don't have to worry every time there is a showing. The 2 months I did though I hated it ... we sometimes had 5 showings in a week. :) We have had a couple of low ball offers and the price is dropping. We are currently dealing on an offer, we countered and now we will wait and see until 10 pm tonight. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Market is so slow here that we expect low ball offers if any. So far nothing. It's a lot of work keeping it shiny but part time we are gone so that helps, except the lawn grows like crazy this time of year.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a great time at Paul and Di's. Wish I could have been there too. The pic of Paul and Piper is special. Its a keeper for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would have been nice if you stayed but hey you were already gone a long time. That pic is fabulous isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Great job on the blog Dave. I think you guys are going to burn yourselves out in retirement your so busy! 😜 See ya in a few days!

    ReplyDelete